Divorce is, unfortunately, a common experience in our society. Although many people experience jitters before a wedding, it is probably fair to say that no one plans to fail at marriage. Most marriages begin with enthusiasm, commitment, resolve and expectations of happiness. Reasons cites for divorce often include the following:
- Poor communication
- Disagreements involving finances, in-laws or step-relationships
- Lack of maturity, commitment and/or shared goals
- Alcohol or drug use
- Physical, sexual or emotional abuse
- Cruel and inhumane treatment
Until 2010, New York was the last state in the U.S. without no-fault divorce. One spouse had to cite grounds for divorce and initiate divorce litigation on that basis. Alternatively, a couple could agree on a separation, and after a year, file for divorce on the basis of the separation. In 2010, a new ground for divorce became law: "The relationship between husband and wife has broken down irretrievably for a period of at least six months."
Reasons for divorce can remain more private now that New York effectively has no-fault divorce. However, practical matters that a divorce entails continue to be challenging for many New Yorkers. It is important to work with a highly qualified family law attorney to help you navigate the legal aspects of your divorce:
- Property division for a straightforward or complex divorce
- Child custody, child visitation and child support, when these apply
- Domestic violence and orders of protection
- Judgment modifications and judgment enforcement as needed
- Spousal support and tax issues related to divorce
Poughkeepsie Divorce Settlement Attorneys Offer Solutions
In today's troubled economy, financial issues in divorce can be more difficult than usual. Underwater mortgages, health insurance concerns and retirement accounts create high-stakes areas of conflict in divorce settlement negotiations. Dutchess County divorce attorneys at the law offices of Stenger, Roberts, Davis & Diamond, have the knowledge and tools necessary to guide clients with confidence. When your best interests are on the line in a New York divorce, turn to the voice of experience. Contact us to schedule a consultation with a Dutchess County divorce lawyer.
Thomas Davis is the contributing attorney to this content.